Our Drug and Alcohol Withdrawal Network (DAWN) assists people to reduce or stop their substance use by providing care and support at home.
The free and confidential withdrawal service is run by clinical nurse specialists who visit you at home and support you through your withdrawal in shared care with your general practitioner (GP). Once assessed for suitability, our home-based withdrawal is provided to people of all ages.
We also provide education and support for your family members and GP and can refer you to counselling, rehabilitation and other services for ongoing care best suited to your needs.
Our Aboriginal Health and Cultural Worker may also be able to provide you culturally appropriate support if you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander decent.
Our Community Services Charter explains your rights and responsibilities, and what you can expect, when engaging with our services.
Our services include:
- a medicated or non-medicated home-based withdrawal plan
- GP liaison
- home visits
- education and support for yourself, your family and your GP
- referral to appropriate counselling and rehabilitation services.
DAWN is a professional home-based withdrawal service providing an effective treatment option for people who want to safely reduce or cease their substance use.
The service is free for patients and GPs.
Withdrawing from alcohol and other drugs can be hard on you and your family. Knowing that other people have successfully completed their journey can help you prepare and be inspired.
Feedback from our clients:
- I’m impressed. For me it was the best way to go. You provide support but you don’t the take the responsibility from me and that was the crucial thing for me.
- Doing withdrawal at home was less stigmatizing; nominating my own support people was more comfortable; and when you leave the picture I know I have still got this support. It was good being able to stay in my own environment.
- Health to withdraw at home, openly with family and knowing there was support for my children as well.
Feedback from families and significant others:
- Some family relationship issues resolved. I think it is really, really good. I wish we had known about it earlier. It is the only thing that has worked and we have been trying for about two years to deal with this. It is a great service and I highly recommend it.
- Excellent that you visit at home. Involves the family, which helps us to understand what goes on.
Feedback from GPs:
- Accessible and helpful.
- Good to get my first experience of this, working with a team.
- I hope that the program continues for years to come. It offers an excellent alternative to the formal detox through Next Step.
Tel: (08) 9388 5000
Fax: (08) 9380 9793
You may be interested in