We offer opportunities for new graduates and those with more experience looking to further develop and progress their career. Medical professionals employed at St John of God Health Care have:
- access to state-of-the-art diagnostic, surgical and procedural technology
- education opportunities across a variety of specialties
- information systems providing real-time data such as theatre booking information and pathology results.
To apply for staff doctor positions across our hospitals visit our careers website.
Junior doctor careers - WA
Our junior doctor careers give you the opportunity to learn from experienced consultants and benefit from our dedicated teaching, training and research opportunities as well as flexible work arrangements.
We are pleased to offer a new intern program starting in 2020 with two-year contracts providing rotations through various specialty areas.
What's on offer?
With access to a wide range of rotations in various specialty areas, we offer a unique hands-on experience with high-quality training and supervision, under some of WA's leading specialists.
Our private and public hospitals provide junior doctors access to:
- flexible work arrangements to maintain a healthy work-life balance
- employee benefits including salary packaging
- dedicated teaching, training and research opportunities
- mentorship and support from experienced specialists
- exposure to both public and private hospitals
- longer rotations for enhanced learning experiences
We have a strong reputation for research excellence across a variety of areas, including oncology, maternity, paediatrics, stroke, respiratory medicine, neurosurgery, orthopaedics, platform trials and other evolving fields.
Dedicated research offices at our Perth hospitals include two clinical research fellow positions in oncology and respiratory medicine. For those interested, we can help integrate research into your training.
Register your interest for updates
Interns benefit from working across multiple specialty areas and have the opportunity to gain quality clinical experience by undertaking rotations across St John of God Midland and Subiaco hospitals.
Core rotations are available in general surgery, general medicine/acute aged care, and emergency medicine. Non-core rotations are available in: paediatrics, stroke/neurology and intensive care.
We have 12 intern positions available starting in 2020.
What we offer interns
As an intern at St John of God Health Care you benefit from:
- teaching, training and research opportunities
- being part of a small cohort with individualised training, education and mentorship
- access to a range of doctor welfare initiatives.
Continuing your career
On successful completion of your 12-month internship, you receive general registration at the same time as those completing a WA Health internship, and you have direct access to the resident medical officer (RMO) rotation streams within St John of God Health Care hospitals.
Apply for intern programs
Applications for our intern programs are coordinated through the Postgraduate Medical Council of Western Australia (PMCWA). Applications open on Wednesday, 8 May 2019 and close Friday, 7 June 2019 for positions starting in 2020.
Select St John of God Health Care (SJGHC) as your first preference to have the best chance to obtain an internship with us. If you don’t obtain a position with us, you will be allocated a position at another hospital within the State Government hospital system.
Apply for these positions via PMCWA. To be notified when applications open, register your interest.
Find out more
A variety of 12-month resident medical officer (RMO) rotation streams are offered at St John of God Midland, Mt Lawley, Murdoch and Subiaco hospitals.
Rotation specialty areas available include: aged care and rehabilitation, cardiology and coronary care medicine, emergency medicine, general medicine, general surgery, haematology, intensive care medicine, mental health, medical service improvement program, obstetrics and gynaecology, oncology, orthopaedics, paediatrics, palliative care, and respiratory medicine and infectious diseases.
Surgical sub-specialities are also available in general, colorectal, upper gastrointestinal, plastic, ear, nose and throat, vascular, urology, gynaecology and gynaeoncological surgery.
You also have access to pre-vocational programs such as basic physician training (secondment only), SMART program (surgical), Critical Care Preparatory (critical care) and ED Step Up.
What we offer RMOs
We offer four term rotations per year, giving you a range of enhanced learning experiences and greater access to leave.
- A positive and supportive work culture
- Personalised learning opportunities with regular consultant supervision, supported by access to annual and professional development leave
- Potential to be a first assistant in theatre at St John of God Subiaco Hospital
- Regular teaching, unit tutorials, journal clubs and grand rounds
- Opportunities for research, including peer-reviewed publication
Continuing your career
As an RMO, you can experience what it is like to be a doctor in our hospitals, as well as working closely with our consultants who support you as you embark on your career. Once you have completed your RMO program you are able to apply for available registrar positions.
Apply for RMO positions
Find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer a range of registrar positions at St John of God Midland, Mt Lawley, Murdoch and Subiaco hospitals.
Registrar positions are available across a range of specialty areas, including anaesthetics, emergency medicine, cardiology, general medicine, general surgery, intensive care, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, palliative care and rehabilitation.
What we offer registrars
As a registrar at St John of God Health Care hospitals, you can expect:
- personalised teaching by experienced specialists, to provide the highest standard of patient care
- supervised research opportunities, designed for peer publication
- opportunities to work one-on-one with WA's leading consultants.
You may be interested in