Clinical pastoral education
What is CPE?
CPE is an education and formation program in the discipline of pastoral care.
The program is based on the experiential learning model including reflection and action related to pastoral care in the hospital and health care setting. It provides opportunities to:
- grow your knowledge and understanding of your professional and pastoral role
- develop skills to enable you to become a more effective pastoral practitioner
- deepen your awareness of patient’s spiritual needs, hopes and resources
- become more aware of your values, attitudes and assumptions.
Who can apply?
- Anyone interest in a pastoral services career
- People working in a health related field such as nurses, allied health professionals, or education
- Pastoral practitioners, chaplains, parish pastoral associates, seminarians
The program is run for 20 to 22 weeks and includes 400 hours of supervised pastoral care practice and education made up of a minimum of:
- 100 hours of clinical placement (in a St John of God Health Care facility or another facility approved by the CPE Centre director or supervision)
- 100 hours of group work and individual supervision
- 200 hours of reflective practice, including preparation of material outside formal session and practicum days.
The CPE program is demanding in terms of time and emotional investment. Encounters during the program can be challenging and confronting. Our focus on instilling the discipline of writing journals, case studies and verbatims is a demanding but enriching process.
If you are not familiar with hospital or healthcare setting, you may find these challenges confronting. You are encouraged to speak to the CPE supervisor before applying for this course.
Is this course recognised by other education institutions?
Some universities may recognise this course, including
- The University of Notre dame Fremantle WA will consider an application for advance standing to a person enrolled in a specific degree
- You may also receive recognition from Murdoch University WA Theological Studies
- You may also receive recognition from University of Divinity Victoria
Please contact the university directly for more information.
VIC Part-time Program
St John of God Health Care Melbourne office - 4 July to 21 Nov 2017
Clinical practicum placements: To be negotiated with successful applicants at Ballarat, Bendigo, Berwick, Frankston, Geelong and Pinelodge Hospitals or external to St John to God Health Care.
Time commitment: Three days per week (two 6-hour days for practicum placement and one day for group education on Tuesdays) with at least 4 hours additional per week for reflection and preparing materials.
Fees: A fee of $1410 inclusive of GST per unit is payable prior to commencement of the programme. (SJGHC caregivers are not required to pay a fee.)
Application closing date: 26 May 2017 with interviews conducted the week of 29 May 2017.
For more information please contact Andrew Somerville, St John of God Health Care Victoria CPE Centre Director, Acting Clinical Pastoral Supervisor ASACPEV Inc. and Pastoral Coordinator Pinelodge Clinic:
WA Part-time Program
St John of God Mt Lawley Hospital - 26 September to 29 March 2018
Clinical practicum placements: To be negotiatied with successful applicants at either Subiaco, Murdoch, Mt Lawley or Midland hospitals or external to St John of God Health Care.
- September 26, 27, 28
- October 24, 25, 26
- November 28, 29, 30
- January 23, 24, 25
- February 27, 28, 1 March
- March 27, 28, 29
Fees: $1650 inclusive of GST per unit is payable prior to the program starting. The fee does not cover parking or meals. (St John of God Health Care caregivers are not required to pay a fee.)
Application closing date: 30 April 2017. Interviews conducted May 2017.
For more information and an application pack, email firstname.lastname@example.org
St John of God Midland Public Hospital - 8 March to 20 July 2017.
Applications have now closed for this course.
To apply for the program, please follow the below steps:
- Download and complete the application form.You can also email email@example.com for WA program information or firstname.lastname@example.org for Victorian program information.
Submit your application and referee contacts.
Please note: all courses are offered are subject to numbers (minimum five, maximum six). We reserve the right to withdraw a CPE unit if there are insufficient applicants or circumstances change. Late applications will only be considered if places are available.
- If your application is shortlisted you will be offered an interview. If successful, you will be accepted into the program and required to provide:
- copy of a current Police Clearance and Working with Children Check (if you are not employed by St John of God Health Care)
- completion of permission to use material agreement
- completion of insurance form for placements external to St John of God Health Care (if you are not employed by St John of God Health Care)
- pre-employment immunisation and screening form (if you are not employed by St John of God Health Care).
For WA program enquiries, email: email@example.com
For Victorian program enquiries, email: firstname.lastname@example.org