Our history begins with the Sisters of St John of God, founded in Ireland in 1871 by Thomas Furlong, Bishop of Ferns in the county of Wexford.
Our history started when eight Sisters travelled to Australia in 1895 to care for people in Western Australia in both metropolitan and smaller, regional areas.
More women joined the Sisters, which led to the opening of hospitals in Western Australia, Victoria and New South Wales, establishing St John of God Health Care.
This commitment to giving back to the community and delivering high quality health care services led to the establishment of the Foundation, which continues the legacy of the Sisters to this day.
Since 1994, the Foundation has raised more than $39 million to deliver major improvements in health care and social welfare, including:
- Murdoch Community Hospice – $5.7 million raised by the Foundation
- Horizon House – 11 homes established across Western Australia and Victoria
- Bendat Family Comprehensive Cancer Centre, St John of God Subiaco Hospital – $21.2 million raised by the Foundation
- South West Coronary and Cancer Service, St John of God Bunbury Hospital –$3.4 million raised by the Foundation since 2010
- Berwick Comprehensive Cancer and Cardiac Care, St John of God Berwick Hospital – The Foundation aims to raise a minimum of $5 million over four years
- ongoing clinical research.
The Foundation continues to raise funds in response to identified needs not met by other funding. Your contribution makes a difference.
Tel: 1800 281 288 (freecall)