The Board is appointed by the Trustees, with Board members accountable to
the Trustees for the organisation's ongoing stewardship and
strategic development. Board members are selected for their varied
and complementary skills and are drawn from a wide range of
Mr Tony Howarth - AO,
CitWA, Hon LLD WAust, SF Fin, FAICD
January 2004 (Member since May 2001)
- Executive career in local and international
banking and finance, with senior positions in regional and major
banks, building societies and stockbrokers.
- Chairman Mermaid Marine Australia Ltd;
Non-Executive Director, Wesfarmers Ltd and Alinta Energy; Member of
industry and community organisations including: Chairman Committee
for Perth; Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce of
Australia; Director Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western
Australia; and Director of Western Australian Rugby
Union; Member Rio Tinto WA Future Fund.
- Past Chairman Alinta Limited, Home Building
Society Ltd & Deputy Chairman of Bank of Queensland Ltd.
- Member University of WA Senate, Chairman
University Club, Deputy Chair UWA Business School, Adjunct
Professor (Fin. Mgt.) UWA Business School.
Mr Mark Bahen
Appointed February 2012 (Member since January 2008)
- Formerly Partner of Clayton Utz Solicitors practising in
corporate and commercial law.
- Headed the health service and agribusiness divisions of Clayton
Utz’s Perth office providing legal services to St John of God
Health Care (10 years).
- Currently Special Counsel to Clayton Utz and Director
Consolidated Pastoral Pty Ltd
- Member of the Law Society of WA, the Law Council of Australia
and the Taxation Institute of Australia.
Dr Tony Baker - MBBS, FRACS,
Appointed March 2005
- Consulting specialist in plastic surgery in public and private
hospitals for 30 years.
- Emeritus Consultant at Princess Margaret Hospital for Children,
- Volunteer on overseas surgical missions to countries including
Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines and Tanzania.
- Committed to training surgeons as an examiner with the Royal
Australasian College of Surgeons and as Chairman of the National
Board of Training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Served on the Board of Governors at the University of Notre
Ms Jay Bonnington - BCom, MBA,
Appointed October 2006
- Career as a Chartered Accountant in New Zealand before moving
into senior financial roles for large corporations overseas and in
- Previously Chief Financial Officer/Finance Director for
Yallourn Energy Ltd and National Chief Executive Officer of the
Make-A-Wish Foundation Australia.
- Health experience includes Chair of Dental Health Services
- Current directorships include: Utilities Trust of Australia,
Port of Melbourne Corporation, and HESTA Superannuation.
- Community directorships include: The Queen’s Fund, Metropolitan
Fire and Emergency Services, the Lord Mayor’s Charitable
Foundation, and a Member of Deakin University Council.
Assoc Prof Rosanna Capolingua -
MB BS FAICD
Appointed January 2010
- Career built in general medical practice.
- Past Federal President of the Australian Medical
- Involved in medical education and professional development and
ethics, serving on medical and Government ethics committees.
- Current positions: Chair of Healthway (WA Health Promotion
Foundation), Chair of AMA (WA) Services Pty Ltd, Medical Director
of the AMA (WA) Youth Foundation, Chair of the Governing
Council for Child and Adolescent Health Services WA, member of
Mutual Board of MDA National, alternate director Board of
MDANI, member of the UWA Raine Foundation Board and the Board
of Governors of the University of Notre Dame, Australia.
Appointed March 2012
- A founding Trustee of Mary Aikenhead Ministries in Sydney, the
entity that oversees St Vincent's Health Australia.
- Has held positions as Board Member of Catholic Health Care
Services LTD in NSW, Congregational Councillor for the Sisters of
Charity, Director of the Institute for Mission in Parramatta and
Principal of several Catholic schools.
- Holds four Masters' degrees in Religious Education, Education
(Administration), Arts in Pastoral Leadership and Theology.
Mr Dalton Gooding - BA Bus,
Appointed February 1998
- Previous partner of Ernst & Young for 14
- Managing Partner of Gooding Partners
Chartered Accountants, launched in 1998 and specialising in
business, financial accounting and tax advice for high-net worth
clients and large private companies.
- Holds non-executive director positions on a
number of public and private company boards, including RAC Group,
St Ives Group, Avita Medical Limited and Brierty Ltd.
Mr Jack de Groot – BA, MAICD,
Appointed January 2010
- Chief Executive Officer of Catholic aid and development agency
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Australian
Council for International Development.
- Extensive experience in government relations, strategy and
policy development, spearheading international aid projects and
- Prior roles in the not-for-profit, Catholic education and
Catholic social services sectors.
- Board positions across: government advisory, industry,
community and education sectors, including the University of Notre
- Adjunct Professor at the Australian Catholic University.
- Member of the Representative Council for Caritas
Mr Peter Prendiville
Appointed May 2012
- Chairman of his family group of companies, Prendiville
Enterprises, whose portfolio includes the multi-award winning
Sandalford Wines, Norfolk Hotel, Pier 21 Resort, Tradewinds Hotel
in Fremantle, Karratha International Hotel, Hotel Rottnest and
Cottesloe Beach Hotel.
- Commissioner of Tourism WA.
- A Trustee, Director and Deputy Chancellor of Notre Dame
University Australia, having been involved with the
university since its inception.
Kerry Sanderson AO, BSc, BEcons, Hon DLitt,
Appointed March 2012
- Board Member for Downer EDI and Atlas Iron.
- Participates in a number of charitable and community activities
including Board Member of the Senses Foundation and
the Paraplegic Benefit Fund, and a member of the Curtin
University Business School Advisory Council.
- Named an Officer of the Order of Australia in 2004 for
service to the development and management of the port and maritime
industries in Australia and to public sector governance in finance
- Held positions as Agent General for WA, CEO of Fremantle Ports,
Deputy Director General of Transport for WA and Director of
Economic and Financial Policy Division for the Western Australian
Dr Michael Stanford - CitWA, MB BS, MBA, FAFPHM, FAICD,
FAIM, Grad Cert LCC
Group Chief Executive Officer of St John of God Health
- Nearly 30 years experience in public and private healthcare
management, the majority in senior management roles.
- Previous chief executive officer roles include:
Australian Hospital Care Ltd, North Western Health, North Eastern
Health Care Network, and Austin and Repatriation Medical
- Board memberships: Catholic Health Australia Inc; Curtin
University of Technology; and the Royal Automobile Club of WA
Holdings Pty Ltd.
- Councillor, WA Chapter of the Australia Business Arts
- 2010 WA Citizen of the Year, category of Industry and